The patio is an important part of the house because it’s the area where you can enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, relax or even have dinner with the family. So it should be as beautiful as the rest of the house. The patio can be paved or tiled area that is used as a seating or relaxing space. It is an outdoor space which is generally used for dining, lounge or recreation that adjoins a residence and it is typically paved. In some countries, the term patio is expanded to include roofed structures to protect from the elements. This can often mean extreme heat, rain, snow or all of these. Patios are decorated with lots of materials like tiles, natural stones, concrete, bricks, block paving, cobbles and other such materials.
Tile is the ideal way to make your outdoor living spaces worth time spending. Whether remodeling an old landscape or creating a new one from scratch, patio tiles are a great option for flooring the outdoor areas of the house which are exposed to natural challenges. Right tiles, used wisely and installed technically, can resist the extreme changes of weather. Tiles for outdoor patios offer endless possibilities for decorating and designing the outdoor spaces. Easy maintenance and flexible installation is their important feature. When installing the flooring, it is very important to choose the outdoor patio tiles which are made for the outdoor purpose that is they can hold up against the extreme weathers.
There is a variety of outdoor patio tiles available for your house. Patio tiles are a great option for outdoor areas. Although patio tiles are available with versatile design, it is very important to choose the right type of patio tiles according to their wear and maintenance. It is also very important to look at the performance features of each tile.
CHARACTERISTICS OF TILES FOR PATIOS
Patio tiles are an amazing alternative to the flooring in this particular outdoor area. These tiles are made exclusively for this space to avoid using any indoor tile type. There is a huge variety of tiles available in the market that can be used for decoration of your patio. These tiles can be easily installed and usually come in different finishes depending on their material type. There are a few pricey patio tile materials that have the resilience and strength to withstand if exposed to any harsh environmental conditions. When choosing tiles for the patio, it’s important to consider these characteristics before buying them according to the aesthetics as well as practical functionality and purpose of use.
- Durability: The tiles should be durable. Selection of tile should be in accordance with their sustainability strength such as some slates and ceramic products are too soft to be used as an outdoor flooring because they can’t bear harsh weathers like extreme heat, snow or rain or all of these. The tiles need to withstand the weight of the patio furniture as well and hence must be durable.
- Slip-resistant: The tiles used for outdoor flooring must have a slip-resistant surface so that there should not be any accidents happening in rainy weather or when tiles are wet.
- Water: The tiles should not absorb much water because if you are living in a place exposed to the cycle of freezing and thawing, then it’s not appropriate to use tiles which absorb much water. If the tile absorbs water and it freezes in it then it will break or crack or even it will pop the floor.
- Hard tiles: The tiles should be hard so they cannot break or crack easily even with falling tree branches or other material things. Keeping the frequency of use in mind, it is necessary to opt for hard tiles for outdoor patios.
- Interior floors: Try to select the outdoor patio tiles that best resemble the texture, design, and color of the interior floors. This is because the spaces adjacent to the French and sliding doors create the threshold where the interior tiles and the outdoor flooring meet. So it’s also important to choose patio tiles that resemble indoor floorings.
- Heat absorption: It’s another hot weather factor which measures the heat absorption capacity of tile. The tiles used should be heated absorbent in the hot climate. The heat absorbed during day emits in the evening which may or may not be desirable.
- Kids wear and tear: Another factor which should be considered while selecting patio tiles is the strength and ability to be rough, and tough. In homes with pets and kids, the possibility of scratches, stress, and chips is higher. So choose the tiles which are strong enough to bear the stress.
- Feel on barefoot: There’s a special consideration of barefoot for those areas that are hot due to weather or areas associated with pools and spas. They should not be very hot or slippery according to the area of implantation.
USAGE OF PATIO TILES
There are several of unique and creative ways, ideas of designing and decorating the patios and their floorings. Following is the list of some great ideas and uses of outdoor patio tiles:
- Backyard Patio: As the name refers, it’s a patio designed in the backyard of the house. The tiles that will use in here can withstand the elements as well as the weight of the furniture.
- Pool or Hot Tub Decking: These tiles are perforated that makes them perfect for outdoor and poolside areas. These tiles can absorb water which prevents the danger associated with the pools.
- Gaga pit flooring: The outdoor patio tiles can be used for the flooring of gaga pits. These tiles are easy to work with and are easy to trim when needed. In any kind of activity, these tiles are supportive and they will remain stable.
- Taverns: Patio tiles are very helpful in taverns as the mess and spills are a daily part of restaurant life which can be dangerous. These tiles can leave a dry surface that’s why they can enhance the safety in such places.
- Utility or mudroom: These tiles are perfect for the entrance way flooring. They can be cleaned quickly and are easily maintainable.
- Deck flooring: Patio tiles are the perfect examples of the outdoor deck tiles. They create an inviting, comfortable and attractive area that can stand up to the elements.
- Boat flooring: Patio outdoor tiles are perfect for boat flooring as well. Easily installable, easy to handle, easy to maintain and are lightweight.
- Pet area flooring: For an easy maintenance and cleanliness, patio tiles are perfect for pet areas flooring. These tiles are also tough enough for the rough and tough, wear and tear that happens in the pet areas. Scratching, pawing, and biting will not affect the flooring in those areas.
- Shower or locker room flooring: These tiles are also good for shower and locker room floorings. As they are slip resistant when wet so they are safe in those areas. They are also easy to maintain.
- Dock flooring: For the dock flooring, patio tiles are a perfect example. Because of the presence of water and other elements these tiles are best for dock flooring. These tiles are comfortable and inviting for a walk as barefoot because these tiles don’t get hot like wood and metal docks do.
- Greenhouse flooring: Some greenhouses need a floor conducive to dampness and humidity which experience more moisture than normal. So the outdoor patio tiles are the best option for those greenhouses.
- Underlayment: Outdoor patio tiles present an outstanding aesthetics. They can also be used as an underlay to other floorings. These patio tiles can create space between the top flooring and the bottom flooring in which the air can move freely. They are particularly perfect for concrete floors that sweat and can cause moisture problems after a long period of time.
There are several types of paver stones that can be used as patio tile floorings. These stone choices can be made according to the needs of the costumer and the tile trends. These stone choices are as follows:
- Marble: Natural stones, such as marble, create beauty in the flooring of outdoor patios. They are available in square and rectangular shapes with different sizes. These marble pavers are available in different beautiful colors, designs, and finishes.
- Travertine: Travertine pavers are a splendid material for decoration of your patio tiles. These tiles are extremely attractive with their old world look and lovely colors. They add a touch of panache and elegance to any place where they are installed. These tiles are famous for their durability and resilient nature. They can withstand the test of time and harsh weather. They endure weight as heavy as 8,000 lb per square inch. The ancient Roman Empire knew the long-lasting strength of this natural stone and used it extensively in their religious, official and important buildings. Travertine tiles have small cavities in their structure which gives them their unique appearance. These holes or cavities are filled for patio tiles to avoid accumulation of dust and dirt. Always seal your travertine patio tiles so that they retain their appearance. Brushed, tumbled and chiseled edge finishes are the practical options for these patio tiles.
- Brick: Brick pavers are strong and durable tiles for the patio. They create a traditional and classic look. They are easy to maintain and clean. They are porous. They can be placed in zigzag or herringbone style to create interest and attraction rather than straight patterns. Color ranges of these bricks are from typical red brick to muted shades of beige, green, tan, rust and brown.
- Concrete: Concrete pavers provide a strong, resilient and durable surface. They are easy to clean and maintain. They are available in a variety of colors nowadays. They can easily withstand freezing temperatures and are slip resistant. They are available in stamped patterns and textures.
- Porcelain: Porcelain tiles are clay-based materials but they are fired at extremely high temperatures. These are non-porous, hard and durable. These are available in different textures and designs which resemble natural stone, rock, concrete, brick and even wood. They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes, colors, textures, and designs.
- Wood: Wood patio tile is natural looking and it combines all the beauty of the wood with the durability of the tile that’s why this tile gives the elegant look to the floor. They create a look of an outdoor deck or hard wooden floor. The wooden tile needs regular maintenance for its long-term beauty.
- Saltillo tiles: Saltillo tiles are a type of terracotta. They are soft and porous. They are less durable because they are dried naturally under the sun and not fired at high temperatures. The colors range of these tiles are hues of red, yellow and orange. Their natural drying process contributes to their natural beauty. They are not glazed on the surface that’s why they are not vulnerable to spills and stains. For outdoor patios, they must be sealed for protection.
The patio is an important part of the house since it gives you relaxing leisure time which soothes your soul. Hence, it should be planned as properly as the rest of the house. You can transform your backyard and front yard areas into a beautiful, appealing, attractive areas of the house through porcelain tiles, wooden tiles, bricks, natural stones etc. Some of the design ideas of patios are as under:
- Travertine patio tiles are gaining popularity as an essential element nowadays. They are most popular and most common marble alternative used for decoration of outdoor patio flooring. These tiles are attractive and beautiful because of the variety of designs available. They are perfect for flooring of outdoor kitchen and living rooms with cozy seating areas, water features, and fireplaces.
- Limestone tiles are available in different colors and textures. Patios made from these tiles with unique patterns can give modern as well as sophisticated look. Various neutral tones, when assembled together for outdoor arrangements surrounded by green trees, will give a serene ambiance. Embellish the surrounding with fresh green plants and luxurious furniture.