Travertine Countertops: Design Ideas, Pros & Cons and Cost
Travertine is a beautiful chic choice for many homeowners. Due to its sophisticated luxurious look which has a striking resemblance with marble, travertine has become extremely popular. It is a stone that has been around since the time of the Romans. Buildings like the Colosseum, Theater of Marcellus, etc. are examples of this stone’s durability and strength.
Travertine is from the family of limestone. It has a unique appearance with irregular cavities and holes in its structure. Because of this each stone of travertine is different from another. It is found in a range of beautiful earthy colors such as cream, beige, ivory, gold, silver, coral, walnut and many shades of brown.
Travertine countertops can be found in all shades and colors of travertine stone. The countertops are available in both cross cut and vein cut stones. (In vein cut, travertine stone is cut parallel to the stone’s natural veins while in cross cut the natural veins are avoided.) The shine of these countertops depends on the types of finish that has been selected. Travertine countertops have four types of finishes i.e. polished, tumbled, chiseled edge and honed. The holes of travertine are filled before installation. Resin and grout are usually used for this procedure.
Travertine countertops are found in the market in two forms.
- Solid slab of travertine
- Travertine tiles
The travertine slab based counters are preferred in kitchens as they have no grout line where bacteria and dust can accumulate, however, slab based counters are expensive as compared to the tile one. The tile based countertops are usually installed in bathrooms and are quite easy to install making them ideal for DIY projects.
Following are some beautiful design ideas for travertine countertops:
Kitchen Countertops:For those who are fans of mixing beauty with the antique look, they should opt for these beautiful travertine kitchen countertops that are the epitome of refined elegance. The surface of the tiles have a very velvety appearance, therefore will instantly add a very svelte touch to one's house.
- For those who want a earthly yet somewhat stylish touch should go for the velvety cream toned vein-cut travertine countertop. It's creamy hue along with it's intricate design combines modern luxury with vintage grace.
- If you're interested in giving your house a state of the art makeover then the beige travertine countertops are an absolute must for your house. These uniquely designed tiles will add a touch of prime chicness and will instantly modernize your kitchen.
- Ivory travertine kitchen counters look magnificent with shades of sliver and white schemed kitchen. The light colored faux wooden cabinets look chic with such countertops.
- Silver kitchen countertops closely resemble marble stone but look considerably more graceful and are comparatively easier on the pockets so if you want a classic yet stylish look then we would definitely recommend the silver travertine stone tiles.
- For those who prefer to create a more ostentatious vibe, the gold travertine countertops are a must. They not only add instant flamboyance to any kitchen but also look expensive without actually making a dent in one's packet.
- If you're someone who enjoys a cold pitcher of lemonade and likes to BBQ under the sun then the walnut travertine countertops with tumbled bases are a must for your outdoor kitchen.
Give your bathroom a wondrous makeover by installing a travertine bathroom countertop with some of the design ideas given below:
- The cream colored travertine tiles for bathroom vanities are a must for those who love simple yet chic design. The travertine stone will not only beautify your washroom but will also giver a very sophisticated look without making it look overdone.
- The walnut colored travertine countertops are a necessity for those who would prefer to add an old money vibe to their bathrooms. The smoothly surfaced stone complimented by a vessel sink made out of bronze has timeless class written all over it. Pair this combination up with a dark colored wrought iron vanity and the result is marvelous.
- The walnut vein cut slab counter tops are one of the most trendiest out of the travertine countertop lot. They are renowned and praised for their exquisite cut design made by the stones natural veins. The light brown shade easily accommodates the intense pattern of the travertine mosaic tiles by toning the sharpness down with its warmth.
- The beige colored travertine tile countertops are considered one of a kind for their most common designs and their aesthetically pleasing appearance. If modern opulence is your renovations theme then these tiles are highly recommended as they add just the right touch of panache to your bathrooms without being flashy.
- For those looking for something unique yet classic, this light cream colored travertine bathroom countertop with a gray marble strip border is definitely a must. It mixes two different stones together for a more tasteful appearance and timeless appeal.
- For an extremely fashionable bathroom, we would recommend the vein cut ivory travertine bathroom countertops with under mount sink. The extremely unique pattern of the stone's natural vein cut automatically adds intricate detail and a touch of classiness to the entire look of the countertop. The earthly tone paired with complimenting bathroom walls creates a one of a kind bathroom that redefines modern elegance. Addition of a glass bordered vanity makes the bathroom pure elegance.
Pros and Cons
Travertine is an economical and environment-friendly natural stone. Even though travertine has a long list of benefits but there are some drawbacks of travertine countertops as well. Some of these pros and cons are listed below:
Travertine Countertop Pros:
- Travertine countertops have a rich and polished surfaces and a naturally permeable stone that has a velvety and creamy hue. It looks beautiful and elegant with a glossy appeal that gives off a warm touch to the kitchens and bathrooms.
- Travertine countertops have a unique appearance with the irregular veins and pits which gives of a timeless and sophisticated look.
- They are available in a number of practical colors and hues that can go really well with any design and color scheme.
- Travertine kitchen countertops and travertine bathroom countertops are very resilient in terms of durability and can not only endure stains but can also survive harsh weather conditions, therefore they can also be used for exterior and interior decoration purposes.
- They have a wide range of designs and sizes to choose from.
- The travertine countertops are highly recommended due to their commendable endurance strength in hot or cold environments.
- By using the modish and refined travertine countertops designs for home decoration, one can easily add a more svelte and formal look to their house.
- Travertine’s application is not limited to countertops as it can easily be used for unconventionally elegant back splashes, fireplace panels and shower areas.
- Travertine stone is easier to cut and contour than porcelain tiles, therefore making it very convenient to fill areas that are small or have an unusual shape. In case a tile is ever damaged, you can easily find one or two travertine tiles similar to the existing tiles to replace the defected ones.
- Travertine kitchen countertops and travertine bathroom countertops are very well-made and solidly-built like marble countertops. They do not crack or get scratched even when handled a little carelessly.
- Travertine can be bought as either tiles or slabs. You have a choice between tiny intricately made mosaic tiles and 36 inch travertine tiles to choose from. The unique design created by the natural veining of the travertine stone helps create a very mesmerizing and intriguing look in your house.
Travertine Countertops Cons:
- Travertine countertops are extremely reactive to acidic solvents, such as: orange juice, and lime juice. Even the most minor spill can lead to staining of the travertine stone. It is not recommended to set up travertine kitchen countertops if you have a regularly busy kitchen. Many home owners do not install travertine bathroom countertops and travertine kitchen countertops if they are to be used excessively, out of fear of discoloration or destruction of the tiles.
- Majority of the people who decide to install travertine tiles do it the refined and artistic appeal of the stone. Most frequent application of the stone is for the kitchen countertops and bathroom vanities. If you do choose to install travertine tiles for your kitchen countertops then it is strongly advised that you use special products for the cleaning and upkeep of your travertine countertops.
- Travertine is a naturally porous stone with cavities and pits in its structure so its tiles and slabs require alkaline based products for there cleaning or else there is the danger of etching. The countertops need to be polished and sealed periodically to retain the beauty of the countertops.
Well, these were some of the useful pros and cons regarding travertine countertops which can help you in decision making whenever you decide to remodel your kitchen or bathrooms.
Cost of travertine countertops vary depending on their type. The slab countertops can have their prices varied between $25 to $50 per sq foot. This is the cost of only the stone. Professional installation and initial treatment can raise the price to $50 to $100 per sq foot. This price can get higher if the color and type of travertine is rare. Home delivery will have an addition of $50 to $150.
Travertine tile countertops' price varies from $5 to $25 per sq foot which includes only the materials. Professional travertine tile countertop installation can have an extra $4 to $10 per sq foot.
The total price of travertine countertop installation may vary as elements like labor fee, price of materials such as grout and sealants and their application charges, filling of holes in travertine, etc. are different for every place. Complexity of the project is another factor that bumps up the price. If you have worked with travertine before or have prior experience in Do-It-Yourself projects then you can easily install the travertine tile countertop by yourself. The slab countertops are heavy and require professional handling so its better to hire a good resource for their installation.
Try to get quotes from different vendors before buying travertine countertops. Do your research regarding the color, pattern and finish that you desire. Explore all your options and talk to natural stone professionals so that your investment is worth it. Get all the necessary information about maintenance and stone care to retain your travertine countertop's natural gleam.
Travertine countertops are used in many commercial and domestic building for their aesthetically pleasing appearance and artsy demeanor. They are available in many colors and sizes are also very affordable. You may find some downsides with natural stone, but travertine countertops have always been a hot topic among interior designers. With a bit of effort in cleaning and maintenance, travertine countertops look amazing and are a one time investment.