Silver Travertine Definition, Usage, Design ideas, cost and tips
Silver travertine is a chic color from the travertine family which is a form of limestone deposited by mineral springs. This silver colored natural stone has a porous structure and is often used in construction as a building material for houses, offices, hospitals, temples, shrines, swimming pools and bath complexes. It is mostly used indoors i.e. wall coverings, countertops, backsplashes, floorings, but can also be used outdoors due to the stone’s great quality to endure harsh weather conditions. It can be found in many forms i.e. tile, paver, slab and mosaic.
Silver travertine has variation even in pattern depending on the type of cut used on the stone. In cross-cut, the surface is composed of different tones of the same color due to evasion of the tile’s vein during the cutting process. In vein-cut, the slabs are cut in a way that results in in a sharp parallel vein with holes and alternating tones throughout the surface.
Silver Travertine Design Ideas and Uses:
Silver travertine is an effortlessly chic looking stone. The color can fit in easily with any type of surrounding and style. Following are some examples of how you can use this beautiful color in your home.
- Silver travertine tiled floors look simple with an edge to them. You can acquire the rough outlook on your floor by using chiseled edge tile.
- Use silver travertine tiles for your hallways and corridors to add a bit of demure and sophisticated look.
- Add a silver travertine backsplash in your kitchen with herringbone pattern to bring out the elements of your kitchen. The result is both appealing and elegant.
- French pattern laid silver travertine bathroom walls with chiseled edges give off an antique and rustic look which looks magnificent.
- Go for the vein cut silver travertine tile if the design of your bathroom is minimal and contemporary.
- Cross cut travertine in the shower and for the bathroom floor looks extremely modish. Add an extra oomph by incorporating a travertine mosaic in the shower floor.
- The ultra modish bathroom can be achieved by using dazzling silver travertine tiles. Place the veins horizontally for a futuristic feel.
- Get the traditional bathroom makeover by using large sized silver travertine tiles laid in a simple pattern.
- Silver travertine gives off the cool vibe in the patio.
- Get your outdoor steps in majestic form with silver pavers of travertine.
- Cool down on the silver travertine pool deck and be mesmerized from the beautiful combination of silver and aqua,
Silver Travertine Cost:
Prices of silver travertine are influenced by different factors such as the quality, design, local and international rates, shipping charges, the intricacy of the project, labor and materials for installation e.g. adhesives, sealant etc. The cheapest silver travertine tile costs around $3-$4 per square foot. Tiles in this price range are of mediocre quality and have many defects so it is better to invest in either the better quality silver travertine tiles which can cost anywhere between $5-$15 or the extremely high quality ones that can cost around $20-$25 per square foot. The entire project can cost anywhere around $600-$48,000, depending on the aforementioned factors.
One can install silver travertine tiles by themselves but the entire process is not only perplexing but also more expensive therefore it is strongly recommended to get silver travertine tiles set up professionally.
Silver Travertine Cleaning and Maintenance Tips:
Silver travertine is one of the most marvelous colors of travertine and signifies stylishness and class. It is a great investment for your house if you want to make it more modish. However, the downside to investing in silver travertine is that due to the concentric and fibrous texture of travertine, it is prone to etching and discoloration if not properly taken care of.
Silver travertine tiles are easily damageable by organic liquids, such as orange juice, tea, coffee, wine, and abrasive cleaners so it is essential that any spills are immediately wiped and that the detergents used have a natural pH and are safe for natural stones. An easier way to preserve the pristine and appealing look of silver travertine is by getting the tiles sealed. The application of a sealant will allow the pits and holes in the tile to be filled thus preventing the absorption of liquids or accumulation of dust particles. Nevertheless, it is mandatory that the silver travertine tile be vacuumed, mopped and scrubbed regularly in order to make its beauty and shine last.
Silver Travertine is a beautiful stone which is being used around the globe for decorating indoor as well as outdoor areas. The stone gives a very bold and cool look in hot summer days thus it’s use is recommended in hot areas. However, it can also be used in cold areas as well. Since Travertine is a precious stone, care should be taken and it should be maintained very well.